Originally posted on El Timbre Blog, 29 Dec 2013
My highlights from 2013
- This blog. Even though this will be the last ever post on the ElTimbre blog, I have enjoyed the excitement of my posts being read (and resources used) by others. I don't blog regularly enough to do the genre justice... so a change is on its way!
- New Job. This was the biggest and most wide-reaching change in 2013. I walked away from a secure(ish) HoD job and walked into a maths tutor role at a local 16-19 college. I love my job. I'm teaching again. Properly teaching. I wouldn't change it for the world.
- Health. Despite my paranoia, cancer did not raise its ugly head again in 2013. My hair has grown back, albeit a lot curlier than before. I worked a FULL term without a sick day. I'll call that progress! =)
- Doctor Who. 50th anniversary. Geekfest. Say no more.
- Mr Timbre. My husband has managed to complete 2/3 of his English degree. I couldn't be more proud =)
- Boy Timbre. My son took part in not one, but TWO national triathlons this year. He's 9 years old and loved every minute of them! He also got moved up a year in maths!
- Little Timbre. My daughter started full time school this September and is thriving! I'm in awe of how quickly she's picking things up.
- Twitter. Twitter has provided me with a sounding board and rant-outlet as well as support. I'm not alone.
- Friends. See above. So happy to have met the members of #geekclub this year!
- Woods. My family discovered a gorgeous privately owned woodland only 10 minutes from home. How did we not know it was there before?! We have enjoyed picnics and exploring, spending hours just "together".
- House. NEW BATHROOM! WOOHOO!
- Dogs. NEW PUPPY! Luna the Cockerpoo was welcomed to our family this year. We love her to pieces.
- Prize Winner. Earlier this month an ex-student, who has become a friend, told me that he's won a competition. I was obviously pleased for him. But then I discovered that the competition was to nominate a "Hero Maths Teacher" and that Simon Singh had selected me as one of three winners! Shocked. Amazed. Proud that I'd had such an impact. I love my job.
Looking forward to 2014
- This blog. This blog will be no more. It will be an ex-blog. I'm setting up a wiki which I can update "as and when" and not feel guilty about neglecting it from time to time! It'll be HERE when it's ready.
- Job. Really looking forward to the next two terms in my new role. Preparing students for their A Levels and seeing them move on - that's all new!
- Bluebells. I will walk amongst Bluebells this year. I want to do it every year. I know where to go now =)
- Collaborative SoW. OOOh. I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into this!
- TeachMeet. I'm setting up a TeachMeet at my college in June this year. EXCITING!
- Mr Timbre. He's going to finish his degree this year. That means the start of a GTP is in the wings. Two teachers in the house!
- Boy Timbre. He's going to start year 6 later this year, and he's "double figures" in a couple of weeks. Where did the time go? Going to GeoCache Hunt with him a lot more this year too.
- Little Timbre. Dance show in February. My little angel on stage! So proud.
- #GEEKCLUB. We will meet again.
- Health. Checkups to look forward to, which I have no control over. But... I am going to make sure I get proper rest from now on. (Well, when I go back to work!). Reasonable bedtimes. Winding down. Looking after myself.
- House. Hmmm... I'd love a new shed. Is that a "hope"???
- Hobby. Looking into, perhaps, making jewellery... Just for me. Just as therapy, perhaps it'll help with number 10 above??
- Bletchley Park. Me and a member of the Computing dept at college are putting together a proposal for a trip to Bletchley Park. I've never "done" a maths trip before. New territory!
- Twitter. I will have more followers than followees. It will happen!